Friday, February 18, 2011

Holiday Update #2: Rarotonga!

As I mentioned before, the early holiday season was quite stressful with all the re-application paperwork for Medical Licensing, Visa, etc.  The Dept of Immigration had my passport for almost the entire month of January, which was downright FRIGHTENING to me.  I was worried I wouldn't have it back in time for my two week unemployment/holiday time, but alas, end-January, it returned!  The first thing I did was look online for cheap flights to somewhere fun!  Fiji and Australia were good options, but I heard wonderful things about Rarotonga.  I think I recieved my passport in the mail on a Monday afternoon, and the flight to Raro was booked by Tuesday morning.  This girl doesn't mess around!

Where is Rarotonga?  Good question, I never heard of it either.  I think this map explains it best:
(thanks sokolavillas.com for the picture!)

Rarotonga is the largest and most populous of the Cook Islands with just over 14,000 people on an island just 32 km (20 miles) in circumfrence.  It really is an island paradise--- very similar to Hawaii (Kauai actually) without the tourist hoopla.   I set out on a relaxing 5 day vacation, and it exceeded my expectations!

I chose to save some money and stay in a backpackers rather than a fancy resort, and it was a fantastic decision! 

Here it is from the carpark... or shall I say "scooterpark" (more on that later)

 The backyard was FILLED with coconut, papaya and banana trees.  How lush!

Every morning there was a plate of ripe, freshly cut bananas and papayas for us to enjoy for breakfast.

Cook Islanders call it PawPaw :)   I call it "papaya".   Either way, it's delicious!

The owners Bill and Ana were so hospitable.   Every Monday they organize an international potluck, where they cook traditional Cook Island foods (taro root, marinated fish, taro leaf, etc) and all of the guests bring a meal from their homeland to share.


Quite a spread!   From sushi to czech potatoes to dried fish from Iceland... quite a culinary adventure!   I cheated and made fajitas from a box.  Still, they DISAPPEARED, and both the owner and her daughter complimented me on them!  

The potluck dinner helped all us backpackers open up and be more friendly.  The next day we all went together to attempt the Cross Island Trek, Raro's big hiking trail.   The island has a circular road around it for transport, and just one main hiking trek from top to bottom.


Pretty lush jungle walking!

Beautiful flora...

And then there were the fauna like these chickens/roosters all over the island that would start their cock-a-doodle-do-ing at 5:30 every morning!   Didn't they know I was on holiday???

View from near the top of Te Rua Manga Needle, looking out towards the Pacific Ocean

Me at *almost* the top of the needle

The official walking path stops halfway up the needle, but they have chains and ropes available nailed into the rock if you want to continue around the other side.  Some boys talked me into doing it.   Hella scary, but great views from the other side!

Looking down after climbing up those scary ropes.....

Some of the guys from Finland taking on the chains.... eeps!

It was quite humid and the mosquitoes were atrocious, but the 3 hour hike was beautiful!  We were treated to a refreshing waterfall at the end of the trek.  



Here I am with some of my new Finnish and British mates.   We survived the cross island trek!

I did say it was a relaxing vacation, and trust me it was.  Besides the hike, the rest of the time was spent either snorkelling, swimming in the Pacific, or reading/sleeping on the beach.

The best way around the island is via scooter, which you can rent for supercheap.  They also make you take an on the road test (which consists of driving down the road 100 meters, turning around and coming back).  After that, you can go to the Police Station and get your official Rarotongan Drivers License!  How fun.  

Here's my and my scooter!  Not many people wore helmets, but I surely did!

Here's a pic of Avarua, the capital of the Cook Islands, and the main town in Rarotonga.  In the distance you can see the needle we climbed!

Some beach shots...


Beach Day #1 was at Muri Beach

Later that afternoon I walked up to the Barefoot Bar and tried a Matutu, the original local brew.

To be fair, I also visited Cooks Brewery, only open for about a year.  I was able to take some of their brew back to NZ with me! 

This is Black Rock.  There are beaches both north and south of here.  That's where I spent days 2 and 3.  Both days, I was the ONLY person there!  What a treat.
Beach looking south (with only my towel and bag)...

Beach looking north.  Bliss :)

Here is a display of some of the pretty coral I found on the beach.

The curly piece on the lower right was actually a hermit crab!  Off he goes!

One night I decided to be a bit touristy and headed to an Island Night Show.
Full of tasty local food...

Talented Island Drummers...

and Dancers moving so fast they were hard to photograph!

I got a pic with two of them at the end when they were still.  BOY were they sweaty from all that dancing!

Since February is Rarotonga's rainier season, the weather is a bit unpredictable. While rainy days aren't the best beach weather, I decided to check out the Maire Nui Tropical Gardens.






One of the highlights of my trip was my personal lesson in island survival by the hostel owner, Bill.
Here's Bill, a native Rarotongan.

He uses a knife on a looooong pole to cut down the coconuts


Once splitting off the tough outer skin, he showed me how to crack it open to drink the coconut water.

Linz and her coconut-cracking machete :)

Success!  Mmmm...refreshing!

He also gave me one of the only ripe passionfruit he had that day.  What a sweetie!

How do coconut trees start growing?  Not from seed--- but from old coconuts lying around!

Here's a banana tree in progress.  Its fruits will most likely be ready for the backpackers breakfasts in the next month or so :)

From hiking to snorkeling to beach bumming and island survial lessons, Rarotonga was a WONDERFUL vacation.  I hope you can visit sometime, too!

Cheers from the South Pacific!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing, Linz! Did you chop off your hair? That black swim suit is mighty flattering too.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks babe! No hair chopping but you're right, the last pic especially looks like I did. It'll need at least a trim soon. Does your bro do international house calls? ;)

    ReplyDelete